Monday 20 May 2013

Guest Post: Treadmill desk update

I'm still walking as I work. It's a bit addictive to be honest and it's starting to feel odd when I sit down. The walking doesn't seem to require any extra thought and it's really easy to concentrate on other things while my feet move. 



One of the great things about the desk space is it's big enough to hold huge piles of student essays, stories and a rather odd PC solution (while I decide what to do about my ancient, but very much loved laptop). I've got a monitor propped up on packs of A4 paper so it's at eye level which works well (there's probably a more aesthetically pleasing solution, but I'm quite happy with it like this).

I've walked more than 40 miles in the past 3 weeks. I had expected the total to be higher and I think it may have something to do with the amount of time I've spent reading and marking student work - I found I needed to walk really slowly as I did this, sometimes at 0.5 mph - perhaps slower speeds are necessary for contemplation.  

Now that I'm back to editing my novel a steady 1.4 mph seems to be working pretty well and I take back what I said previously about not being able to eat or drink while walking - it's actually pretty easy (although probably not recommended).

The children love the desk, too. They like to take it in turns to use it for homework - and anything that makes homework more enjoyable gets a massive thumbs up from me.

Carys

No comments:

Post a Comment